cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Davanum Srinivas <d...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [c2] add timeout parameter to map:generator?
Date Tue, 15 May 2001 13:10:12 GMT
Donald,

How about using the usual pattern for passing parameters? Am +1 on adding a timeout, but prefer
the pattern below:

    <map:match pattern="feeds/slashdot">
     <map:generate src="http://slashdot.org/slashdot.xml">
       <parameter name="timeout" value="5"/>
     </map:generate>
     <map:serialize/>
    </map:match>

Thanks,
dims

--- Donald Ball <balld@webslingerZ.com> wrote:
> i just spent several minutes trying to track down what i thought was a
> caching or threading problem in c2 - one of my aggregating pages was
> taking a very long time to process, frequently timing out before it got to
> my browser. as it turns out, the problem was that the aggregate feed
> (slashdot) was taking a looooong time to return results. anyone opposed to
> adding a timeout parameter for content retrieved from an external source?
> e.g.
>
>    <map:match pattern="feeds/slashdot">
>     <map:generate src="http://slashdot.org/slashdot.xml" timeout="5"/>
>     <map:serialize/>
>    </map:match>
>
> giving slashdot 5 precious seconds to respond before simply ignoring the
> feed.
>
> - donald

=====
Davanum Srinivas, JNI-FAQ Manager