cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Colin Britton" <cbrit...@centervilletech.com>
Subject Re: [C2] Caching and FOP ...
Date Thu, 10 May 2001 03:29:30 GMT
We appear to have a problem with the FOPSerializer which I do not
understand, maybe someone can help point me in the right direction.

When a pdf is first viewed, it does not appear (or appears blank - ie the
correct number of pages are there, but no data), but a refresh makes it
reappear.

The test scenario is Win2k, jdk 1.3.02, Catalina B3, latest 5/9/01 C2 cvs
updated, FOP (latest from CVS, but also does the same with 1.8.1) I start
catalina and the first thing I do is access
http://localhost:8080/cocoon/hello.pdf from internet explorer 5.5 or
mozilla.

If you donwload the resulting pdf files, from and fresh start and from the
cache, then you will find that the PDF files are a different size and if you
look inside the first file you will see all the PDF objects are duplicated
(this is in the one that will not display) and the file from the cache is
fine.

I did these tests with Mozilla because Internet Explorer was producing even
stranger problems. with IE I have the Adobe Acrobat reader activeX control
in place, this appears to create multiple requests when you try to read a
PDF file. So in the cocoon log file have the item being served multiple
times (clearly from cache the next couple of times) and therefore quite
often displays correctly.

Also the sample file  readme.fo throws exceptions from both the file
generator and the FOPserializer when ever you try to view that with IE, i
think this is related to the same problem, but displays fine in IE because
of the multiple reload. Also another point on this is that it always throws
the exception in IE but never in Mozilla, is it possible that two reads from
IE close together could create a situation where two http processors try to
use the same FOPSerializer object? I have a log that I have attached that
shows this problem, but I do not have enough knowledge of the internals to
explain what is going on....

Ideas? anyone? or am I just going crazy?

rgds
CB