cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Piroumian, Konstantin" <KPiroum...@flagship.ru>
Subject Re: Issues left for going beta
Date Thu, 17 May 2001 08:28:09 GMT

> > >    <map:transform type="i18n" src="dictionary.xml"/>
> >
> > Yes, it would be better, but I was thinking of a possibility of
> > specifying
> > multiple dictionaires for the transformer, something like this:
> >
> > <map:transform type="i18n">
> >     <dictionary src="dict_en.xml" lang="en"/>
> >     <dictionary src="dict_de.xml" lang="de"/>
> > </map:transform>
>
> This looks like a configuration but I think they are better done using
> parameters. Only make sure that parsing those dictionary doesn't occur for
every
> request :)

How is it possible to specify a parameter with 2 values in the sitemap: src
and lang? I mean:

<parameter name="dictionary" value="dictionary.xml" lang="en"/>

Regarding the parsing for every request - I didn't touch that part yet,
simply used the old one and the dicionary is parsed every time.
Dictionary caching is in my todo list, but just now I have no much time for
it. Btw, is there any means in Avalon for caching, e.g. some Cachable
interface?

> > Currently, translations for all languages are listed in one dictionary
> > file
> > and it is not convenient to work with: somebody has to gather all
> > languages
> > into one dictionary file. If multiple dictionaries are used then you can
> > combine these possibilitites: you can have separate dictionary files for
> > every language and translators can easily edit them independently and
> > you
> > can replace translations for one language independently.
>
> Yes, it makes total sense to separate on the language basis. Sorry, I
haven't
> thought of this.
>
> > I don't know how can I specify multiple dictionary sources with optional
> > additional attribute - lang.
> >
> > Another, not yet implemented possibility is to allow dictionary
> > inclusions
> > (like in XSLT):
> >
> > dictionary.xml
> > ---------------------
> >
> > <include src="dict_ru.xml" lang="ru" />
> > <import src="dict_common.xml" />
>
> Yes, could be a additional improvement.

It's also in the todo list.

> > > And also do we realy need two of them? Are they in such a way
> > different
> > from
> > > each other to legitimate this?
> > >

> > Yesterday I posted documentation for the new I18nTransformer and there
> > is a
> > part about migration from the old one. If nobody is interested in the
> > old
> > transformer then it can be replaced.
> >
> > It seems that very few people use i18n...
>
> Yes, seems to me, too.

Maybe after appearing of the documentation on C2 site usage will grow.
I am using i18n for my current project, so I will be interested in it and
will improve it currently.

Kot.