cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: AW: [C2]: ToDo - List for going Beta
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2001 10:37:35 GMT
At 4:14 PM +0200 12/4/01, giacomo wrote:
>On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>
>> At 2:07 PM +0200 12/4/01, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

[snip]

>> >Yes, I think, this is another reason for officially removing
>>sendRedirect().
>> >If really the only problem with sendRedirect() is migrating projects, we
>> >could (and will) offer help on the migration.
>>
>> This is a really nice offer, but it is slightly more complicated ....
>>
>> The issue as it effects me is that if redirection is available, then the
>> authoring language that we use to build webApps (the Crudlet.org TagLib)
>> will contain the concept of redirection. If redirection was not available,
>> the language would have been designed quite differently.
>>
>> I am at the stage where I am about to re-implement the language Crudlet.org
>> 2.0, this has been in specification for a while. Now I know that
>> redirection is not going to be available in C2 from the TagLib level, I
>> have the chance to hopefully re-design certain aspects of the language so
>> then used in C1, it will use the response taglib for re-direction, while in
>> C2 that will be mapped in the sitemap.
>>
>> Problem is, I understand so little about the capabilities of the Sitemap at
>> this stage.
>>
>> I would love to have a discussion to help me understand the correct way of
>> implementing the Crudlet webApp, but don't want to drag you away from the
>> amazing work that you are doing!
>
>It seems that I have to play the devils advocate today :)
>
>Talking about me I'm probabbly at the same stage as you. I don't know
>about the capabilities of the Crudlet webApp.

It is based on Beans which connect to JavaSpace-based Primitives.
It comes with a set of standard JINI Services for maintaining the Space
(de/archive to SQL, manifest maintenance, mailing, exchange, encryption
etc.) and a standard set of Beans for compound data types (UserBean,
OrganisationBean, MoneyBean, DateBean, ExchangeBean etc. etc.)
It handles a standard set of Events on Beans (create, retrieve, update,
delete, lifecycle, exists, template).

We use it for building a reinsurance trading application
http://www.risk2risk.com.

BTW. Sun want to use Crudlet (hence Cocoon) for jini.org (!)

I suspect the published documentation is a little behind, though you might
like to look at http://www.crudlet.org, it is published under the Sun
Community Lisence.

>But one is for sure: We've never said to kill Cocoon 1, so this option
>remains for those apps which migration effort is too costly.

I think I know now how to redesign the Crudlet 2.0 TagLib so it can use
response:send-redirect in Cocoon 1, but rely on sitemap redirection in
Cocoon 2.

I am really glad this issue came up when it did, as I am just about to
start implementing the new version!

I wish I had more time to understand how it would be best to deploy Crudlet
in Cocoon 2 before the re-write, but I've been asked to get on with it
straight away, oh well! I just hope I am not writing myself into a hole ....

Sorry for moaning before thinking ;)

BTW. Is Stefano's FlowMap idea likely to get implemented?

regards Jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design
                                            HyperMedia Research Centre