cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject RE: cvs commit: xml-cocoon/webapp/docs/samples/xsp cookie.xsp
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2001 12:29:02 GMT
At 6:24 PM +0200 18/4/01, giacomo wrote:
>> So as another example what if we want to redirect to a value that is
>> returned from a database call... where the user wants to use esql
>> (beacuse it is *simple*) to retirve the value from the database? how is
>> that redirect passed back to the sitemap?
>
>Never! It's a bad use case IMHO. Use an action to handle you DB-redirect
>stuff with the help of the sitemap.

So what that means is that esql and all other XSP TagLibs get de-valued.

For example, people who want to access databases in a webApp that might
require redirect functionality, are forced to write (and maintain) their DB
access code in Java rather than using the far simpler esql language, as
they could in C1.

This is a very different scenario and for many people will be a non-trivial
difference between the two environments.

This is why I suggested earlier that some way be found to compile Actions
from XML like happens with XSP and generators, so that non-java programmers
can once again leverage the power of TagLibs that they loose by moving to
C2.

regards Jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design
                                            HyperMedia Research Centre