cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: AW: [C2]: Request/Response cleanup?
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:06:08 GMT
At 9:54 AM +0200 10/4/01, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>I think the main advantage of only using the sitemap for redirects
>is the visibility and the definition of the application flow.
>By looking at the sitemap you can see what is really happening if
>you send a particular request.
>The development of web applications is much simpler because you
>can define the flow completely in the sitemap and nowhere else.
>If you would have any redirect at another place (inside xsp
>or inside a transformer) this is not visible.

I completely agree, we should be recommending the best way of working in
the architecture of Cocoon 2.

However IMHO it is one thing to avoid adding _new_ stuff to Cocoon that
breaks SoC (my LogicTagLib proposal come to mind ;) but quite another to
remove a useful existing capability just for abstract purity, when it is
going to possibly slow down the porting of existing components to Cocoon 2.

For example, while writing the Crudlet TagLib for Cocoon 1, I had to
provide a complete WebApp language, that amongst other things makes quite a
lot of use of redirection, legitimately so I believe (there is often no
option in Cocoon 1).

When I port Crudlet to Cocoon 2 (with no redirect) I would have to
re-design the language far more than I would have to if redirect existed,
while what would be easier for existing Crudlet users could be gradual
evolution of the component to ideal Cocoon 2 patterns as they are developed.

Yes, when we have (and understand ;) flowmaps and all those other goodies
for making WebApps then I would very happily do without response
redirection.

But until then, please, leave it in!

regards Jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design