cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From giacomo <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C2]: ToDo - List for going Beta
Date Sun, 15 Apr 2001 13:38:41 GMT

On Sat, 14 Apr 2001, Donald Ball wrote:

> > > actually, apparantly, that's not strictly true with tomcat (and other
> > > 2.2+ servlet engines?) - if the bytes that have been written to the
> > > outputstream have not been flushed yet, then it is still possible to send
> > > redirects and set http response headers.
> >
> > Is this something reliable?
>
> yes. you can get and set the buffer size too. craig or pier could probably
> say more about it if you want the nitty gritty. personally, i'd say we
> should allow sendRedirect and try to accomplish it by checking isCommited
> and resetting the response buffer if possible, and if not to just keep
> going. put a big warning in the docs about how this is chancy if you try
> to use it after you've starting spitting out any significant amount of
> output and leave it at that. sound good?

Well, Donald, that's only Tomcat. How about all the other servlet
engines. That was what I meant by "reliable".

> i'm going to be an unhappy camper if my xsp pages can't issue redirects.

I believe you are too deeply in C1 thinking to need the capability to
redirect from an XSP page :)

I appologies if some of you think I'd like to be a dictator. I'm
definitely not. But I see many of you thinking in C1 terms and because I
almost never work with C1 but only with C2 I really don't see many
things proposed to be in C2 are good patterns/practice. I can also see
that some of you like to go over to C2 with existing C1 apps and thus
want to have it as cheep as possible. But I tell you if you or your
customers are not willing to pay the price to do it the C2 way than
staying with C1 will be still an option and I think than it is
the right option (and thus you don't have any porting costs than).

I don't think C2 is only an enhanced C1. It's definitely a different
beast.

Of course I can't stop anyone implemeting it but I definitely won't do
it and I will take care that there are big letters warning every one
using it and I don't give any support to people having troubles with
it (except to show them the way I think is correct :)

Giacomo