cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From giacomo <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: [C2]: ToDo - List for going Beta
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:11:02 GMT

On 12 Apr 2001 nicolaken@supereva.it wrote:

> <snip/>

> > > Oh, I didn't know that. It might be over componentization, but I found
> > > many cases were I really wanted to have another ErrorNotifier and this
> > > is currently not possible. We have configurable components everywhere,
> > > if we count them (generators, transformers etc.) we have about eight
> > > components which can be configured and only one (the ErrorNotifier)
> > > which is not. So, this not really a reason over componentization.
> > > So, let's vote about solution a).
> >
> > Another good thing about componentized Errornotifier is that the
> > <pipeline> element becomes more sense. You can have different error
> > handler for a group of uris which have different management/monitoring
> > needs (send mails, SMS, JMX  etc. etc.)
>
> Hi everyone! :)

Ciao Nicola

Nice reading some lines from you :)

> It's a long time since I've written to this list, I missed you all :-P

That's your problem :) We were always here.

> I've been very busy on a WYSIWY...hopefully;)G editor for XML (using
> XSL), now I'm sweating into beta.

Open Source ?

> Anyway, having written the ErrorNotifier stuff I would like to
> explain briefly why it's done that way. As you can guess I started
> out thinking of a component for error reporting, but Stefano talked
> me out of it, and I think he is right. Errors are not IMHO
> "content", but system messages. Because of this there is no need to
> generate a different DTD for any kind of error... imagine having 20
> different DTDs for errors and keeping track of all the stylesheet
> that go with them... ;) So I decided to stick to a fixed DTD that
> can deliver not just errors but messages. The DTD (implied) has some
> fixed tags that give it a type,a name and short descriptions; after
> that a series of added tags for possible new data to expose. This is
> NOT fixed. :) In fact I decided to create an interface for
> notifications. If your component-code-whatever throws an Exception
> which implements also this interface the ErrorNotifier reads the
> extra descriptions-data and appends them to the XML.  So you have a
> fixed DTD with the content you need. IMO this is flexible enough.

Maybe flexible enough for reporting to the client. But I think other
needs for errors arise like reporting to a management console
whatsoever.

Giacomo

> also wanted to make this thing resilient, so if it understands that
> it needs to output html directly because cocoon will not process
> further it does so; in C1 I had a tough problem with error messages
> coming out not correctly (difficult to read) because cocoon hadn't
> yet started up. So, now that I explained it (I think I should have
> done it before ;) ) do you think it could be ok? Or maybe you all
> knew this and I didn't get the point ;-P If this is comprehensible,
> can someone put it in the docs please? If you need a rewrite tell
> me.
>
> Ciao,
> Nicola Ken Barozzi
>
> PS: Can someone finally take away that TODO about hardcoded errors that made me write
this stuff in the first place!  :-))  (I can't believe it's still there!)