cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From giacomo <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: [C2]: ToDo - List for going Beta
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2001 14:14:37 GMT

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Jeremy Quinn wrote:

> >> We have to take the following into acount for redirect:
> >>
> >> 1. If the pipeline has started to output characters onto the
> >>    OutputStream IIRC the servlet engine will throw an Exception
> >>    when issuing a redirect afterwards. There will be situation where you
> >>    *never* will be able to redirect because of this restriction (think
> >>    of a pipeline containing a XSP generator and an XMLSerializer which
> >>    almost immediately produce output on the OutputStream).
> >>
> >> 2. If we allow redirects we then need a way to report that (probabbly by
> >>    an Exception) to the pipeline from a sitemap component that a
> >>    redirection has occurred to interrupt the resource production because
> >>    it will throw an Exception otherwise.
> >>
> >Yes, I think, this is another reason for officially removing sendRedirect().
> >If really the only problem with sendRedirect() is migrating projects, we
> >could (and will) offer help on the migration.
>
> This is a really nice offer, but it is slightly more complicated ....
>
> The issue as it effects me is that if redirection is available, then the
> authoring language that we use to build webApps (the Crudlet.org TagLib)
> will contain the concept of redirection. If redirection was not available,
> the language would have been designed quite differently.
>
> I am at the stage where I am about to re-implement the language Crudlet.org
> 2.0, this has been in specification for a while. Now I know that
> redirection is not going to be available in C2 from the TagLib level, I
> have the chance to hopefully re-design certain aspects of the language so
> then used in C1, it will use the response taglib for re-direction, while in
> C2 that will be mapped in the sitemap.
>
> Problem is, I understand so little about the capabilities of the Sitemap at
> this stage.
>
> I would love to have a discussion to help me understand the correct way of
> implementing the Crudlet webApp, but don't want to drag you away from the
> amazing work that you are doing!

It seems that I have to play the devils advocate today :)

Talking about me I'm probabbly at the same stage as you. I don't know
about the capabilities of the Crudlet webApp.

But one is for sure: We've never said to kill Cocoon 1, so this option
remains for those apps which migration effort is too costly.

Giacomo