cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: [C2]: ToDo - List for going Beta
Date Sat, 14 Apr 2001 21:26:34 GMT
On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, giacomo wrote:

> > > We have to take the following into acount for redirect:
> > >
> > > 1. If the pipeline has started to output characters onto the
> > >    OutputStream IIRC the servlet engine will throw an Exception
> > >    when issuing a redirect afterwards. There will be situation where you
> > >    *never* will be able to redirect because of this restriction (think
> > >    of a pipeline containing a XSP generator and an XMLSerializer which
> > >    almost immediately produce output on the OutputStream).
> >
> > actually, apparantly, that's not strictly true with tomcat (and other
> > 2.2+ servlet engines?) - if the bytes that have been written to the
> > outputstream have not been flushed yet, then it is still possible to send
> > redirects and set http response headers.
>
> Is this something reliable?

yes. you can get and set the buffer size too. craig or pier could probably
say more about it if you want the nitty gritty. personally, i'd say we
should allow sendRedirect and try to accomplish it by checking isCommited
and resetting the response buffer if possible, and if not to just keep
going. put a big warning in the docs about how this is chancy if you try
to use it after you've starting spitting out any significant amount of
output and leave it at that. sound good?

i'm going to be an unhappy camper if my xsp pages can't issue redirects.

- donald