cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: [c2] question on configuring logicsheets in cocoon.xconf
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:36:10 GMT
On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> > that debugging xsp pages in c2 is painful, very
> > painful - maybe because when an error occurs compiling an xsp page, it
> > ends up resulting in like 10 exceptions, each of which dump their
> > stacktrace to the log file
>
> This is the reason for adding support for pre-compiling XSP's. That
> way you can atleast be sure that your XSP are converted to java
> files/classes and that the java files can be compiled in java classes.
> See INSTALL doc for more info.

that's a fine alternative, but it's not very flexible when i'm in
development - it requires that i make my sitemap non-reloadable, which
isn't so great when i'm in development. it also requires me to do this:

  Step #3. Use "-Dcompile.xsp=yes" in your build command line when you are
       building your WAR file.

which doesn't make any sense when i'm constructing my own webapp by hand
instead of building c2's sample webapp. i take it the net effect is to run
something like:

java org.apache.cocoon.Main -x -w mywebapp/WEB-INF/classes -c webapp

with the proper classpath, but it's hard to tell where to run this and
what to do with the results.

listen, the error page that the developer sees when they try to hit an xsp
page they're developing should display:

1. the problem area in the java source code and the compiler error message
if the page can't compile

2. the stacktrace if an exception is thrown

c1 can do this. we're going to have a hard time selling developers on c2
if it makes developing more difficult.

- donald