cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <>
Subject Re: [C2]: Request/Response cleanup?
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2001 07:15:09 GMT
On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, giacomo wrote:

> > > I don't see
> > >
> > > We use sendRedirect heavily for bouncing people off a cocoon enabled site to
> > > other external resouces. This allows us to centrally manage (and control)
> > > the information we are serving. This is a common thing to do, make sure that
> > > the users browser redirects off a central server even when they getting
> > > content from a satelite (or third party site). The sitemap along with an XSP
> > > script makes a good url redirector!
> >
> > what he said. sure, you can do redirects from the sitemap, but it's nice
> > to be able to do them from xsp pages or another sitemap component.
> There are other nice things _not_ in C2 because of some good reason.
> Why is redirection nice? What's the use case for rediretion inside
> components (includes XSP pages) ?

okay. suppose i want to send the user to a URL i have pulled from a
database? it should not be the case that i have to declare every URL to
which i can redirect in the sitemap. i suppose one could write a match
rule like this:

<map:match pattern="/redirect?url=*">
  <map:redirect-to url="{$1}"/>

and do it that way. but i can't see why it would be better that way than
by using a sendRedirect method. it will certainly make people complain.

- donald

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message