cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: question on getLogger()
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2001 21:38:53 GMT
On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Giacomo Pati wrote:

> > what's the most succinct way of configuring the class so that getLogger()
> > is valid and doesn't return null?
>
> You need to put your class under the controll of a ComponentManager by
> defining it as a component in the cocoon.xconf file and getting it via
> the ComponentManager. This depends where you are instanciating your
> class. Can you elaborate more on the use case of your class?

i was just playing around thinking about caching issues and decided to go
ahead and try using a LoggingEntityResolver to see if we can actually
track "extra" resources used by sitemap components (trax transformer, for
instance) using that method. i'm currently using it as follows in the
ResourcePipeline:

            while ( transformerItt.hasNext() ) {
                Transformer trans = (Transformer)transformerItt.next();
                LoggingEntityResolver resolver = new
LoggingEntityResolver((EntityResolver)environment);
                resolver.setLogger(log);
                trans.setup(
                    resolver,
                    environment.getObjectModel(),
                    (String)transformerSourceItt.next(),
                    (Parameters)transformerParamItt.next()
                );
            }

and it works like a charm. the idea being that the ResourcePipeline can
check not only the freshness of the original InputSource (if any) for a
sitemap component, but the other resources upon which it depends. nothing
fancy, but it does solve a long-standing problem.

- donald