cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@sundn.de>
Subject AW: AW: cocoon-reload=true or cocoon-reload%3Dtrue ?
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2001 08:39:45 GMT
> Giacomo Pati wrote:
> Quoting Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler@sundn.de>:
>
> > After some investigation in this problem, I found a difference in the
> > servlet engines.
> > The CocoonServlet.getCocoon() method checks the pathInfo of the request:
> > <<code snip>>
> >     private synchronized Cocoon getCocoon(final String pathInfo, final
> > String reloadParam) {
> >         if (this.cocoon != null) {
> >             if (this.cocoon.modifiedSince(this.creationTime)) {
> >                 log.info("Configuration changed reload attempt");
> >                 this.createCocoon();
> >                 return this.cocoon;
> >   !!TEST!!          } else if ((pathInfo == null) && (reloadParam !=
> > null)) {
> >                 log.info("Forced reload attempt");
> >                 this.createCocoon();
> >                 return this.cocoon;
> >             }
> >   !!TEST!!      } else if ((pathInfo == null) && (reloadParam != null))
> > {
> >             log.info("Invalid configurations reload");
> >             this.createCocoon();
> >             return this.cocoon;
> >         }
> >
> >         return this.cocoon;
> >     }
> > <<end code snip>>
> >
> > So the cocoon-reload parameter does only take effect if the pathInfo is
> > null. Using
> > Tomcat 3.2.1 the pathInfo is always null, so the cocoon-reload works
> > fine.
> > Using e.g. Bea 5.1 the pathInfo is never null but the name of the
> > requested resource,
> > so cocoon-reload never works!
> > Why is this test of the pathInfo here? What is the reason for this test?
>
> Can you test if Catalina is reporting a PathInfo == null, too?
Sorry, not today as we have nowhere Catalina installed, but perhaps tomorrow or so.

> I can
> imagine
> that these tests are coded because of those servlet engines showed up a
> null
> PathInfo. If Bea reports a empty string we will have to extend
> the test for
> empty strings, too. The test how I understand them are that the
> cocoon-reload
> parameter can only be honored on the root context PathInfo. Thus an URI
> like
> http://localhost/cocoon/foo/bar?cocoon-reload=yes will never be used to
> reload
> the cocoon engine given that http://localhost/cocoon is the context root,
> rigth?
OK, this makes sense, but unfortunately Bea does not report an empty string, but
the resource name. So requesting http://localhost/cocoon/hello will on Bea
result in the pathInfo "hello". If I understood the servlet api correctly, this
is a bug of Bea. Is this right?

Carsten