cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@sundn.de>
Subject AW: cvs commit: xml-cocoon/webapp/docs/samples/xsp cookie.xsp
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2001 12:31:16 GMT
> Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>
> At 6:24 PM +0200 18/4/01, giacomo wrote:
> >> So as another example what if we want to redirect to a value that is
> >> returned from a database call... where the user wants to use esql
> >> (beacuse it is *simple*) to retirve the value from the database? how is
> >> that redirect passed back to the sitemap?
> >
> >Never! It's a bad use case IMHO. Use an action to handle you DB-redirect
> >stuff with the help of the sitemap.
>
> So what that means is that esql and all other XSP TagLibs get de-valued.
>
> For example, people who want to access databases in a webApp that might
> require redirect functionality, are forced to write (and
> maintain) their DB
> access code in Java rather than using the far simpler esql language, as
> they could in C1.

I think, this are two different tasks, the first is database access and the
second is redirection. For generating content, XSP Taglibs are very very
valuable. There is no doubt about it. But I personally see XSP (currently)
only on the content side and not on the webapp flow (see below).

> This is a very different scenario and for many people will be a
> non-trivial
> difference between the two environments.
>
> This is why I suggested earlier that some way be found to compile Actions
> from XML like happens with XSP and generators, so that non-java
> programmers
> can once again leverage the power of TagLibs that they loose by moving to
> C2.

I agree, that compiling Actions from XML would be very handy (like the
Script Action, proposed yesterday). Perhaps this might be solution out of
this problem as the actions are very important components which currently
are only createable with java-knowledge.
So +1 for this...

regards Carsten