cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Robin Green" <gree...@hotmail.com>
Subject Low-level soft object store for caching
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2001 14:11:25 GMT
Attached is an incomplete, not working, in-progress, not guaranteed, etc.
etc. attempt at a low-level store which uses SoftReferences to reduce the
possibility of OutOfMemoryErrors (made for cocoon 1), which I haven't had
time to work on for months, but which the caching guys _might_ find useful.
Take it or leave it. I'd advise the latter - it's probably too complicated
for a first pass and full of mistaken assumptions! (There are some
unused/unmaintained classes in there, due to mistakes made earlier on.) But
I'm posting it just in case there's anything useful in there.

Note that many JDKs implement SoftReferences vary badly, hence the hacky JDK
version checks in the collections package. That might be a reason to avoid
soft references for the store for now.