cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: [C2] Switch on Cache by default (in cocoon.xconf)
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:40:41 GMT
Quoting Santiago Gala <sgala@hisitech.com>:

> Giacomo Pati wrote:

> >> No real objection from me - the only problem I see right now might
> >> be the memory consumption of the cache as nearly every request
> >> is cached in memory.
> >

> > Well, it's a component. We can later on write a more sophisticated
> Store to use.
> > There has been a contribution from a Austrian guy (Froehlich ?) for a
> MRUStore
> > recently. Maybe this component can be configured to limit the storage
> used. Has
> > anybody had a look at it (sorry to that guy if we have not take it so
> far into
> > consideration, but you've seen we are working very hard on different
> frontiers
> > :)
> >
> > A possible final solution could be a Store that keeps frequently used
> cache
> > object in memory an swaps out others to the file system.
> >

> We are considering the Cocoon2 store as a portlet cache for Jetspeed.
> Some time ago we used the Cocoon1 store for this purpose. Currently we
> are using the Turbine cache, but I like a lot Stefano's proposal (which
> I think will be eventually in here) and the key algorithm.
>
> Currently, the String operations involved in constructing jetspeed's
> keys and checking for equality is contributing a substantial runtime
> overhead to us. So the key approach would also be welcome.
>
> We have a different cache (urlmanager) which could benefit Cocoon,
> specially when news syndication come into play. I am currently
> implementing it afresh, as the current code base is ugly and messy. This
>
> cache takes care of storing external resources in disk.
>
> I have been playing with the idea of having a multilevel disk and memory
>
> cache, one that would keep used urls in memory, while having the rest on
>
> disk. The same could be applied to other (serializable) objects.
>
> I will definitely give a look to this code.
>
> Do you know if I could use the store without heavy dependencies? which
> dependencies (jars, config files) would I need?

Well, IIRC the interface used is the org.apache.cocoon.components.store.Store.
There are currently two implementation MemoryStore and FilesystemStore (I don't
know the details). As they are Avalon components specified in the cocoon.xconf
file they can be configured at will.

And, yes, a independant and adaptive Object Store for C2 will be very welcome.

Giacomo