cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [c2] question on configuring logicsheets in cocoon.xconf
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2001 06:55:00 GMT
Quoting Donald Ball <balld@webslingerZ.com>:

> heya. i'm working on my first real c2 site. i have a site-specific
> logicsheet which i wish to use. i presume i need to declare it in
> cocoon.xconf (is there an alternative?) i have this section:

The alternative (but I think it was discussed to be deprecated) is to use the
<?logicsheet?> PI.

>         <builtin-logicsheet>
>           <parameter name="prefix" value="wzi"/>
>           <parameter name="uri" value="http://example.com/xml/xsp/v1"/>
>           <parameter name="href" value="file:///path/to/shared.xsp"/>

            <parameter name="href" value="context://mysheets/shared.xsp"/>

>         </builtin-logicsheet>
>
> obviously, i don't want to use an absolute file: url, but without a
> protocol prefix, cocoon throws an exception trying to parse the url, so
> can't just do "shared.xsp" and have done with it. i would presume that
> relative urls would be taken to be from the root of the webapp. is this
> behavior a bug or a feature?
>
> as i side note, may i say that debugging xsp pages in c2 is painful,
> very
> painful - maybe because when an error occurs compiling an xsp page, it
> ends up resulting in like 10 exceptions, each of which dump their
> stacktrace to the log file - so to find the root exception's message
> (and
> stacktrace), you gotta page back hundreds of lines. the c2 error
> messages
> aren't terribly helpful either (not that c1 is any better in that
> regard)
> - the "sitemap handler's handler is not available" is particularly
> silly.
>
> we're using avalon's log package, not log4j, right? if not, any
> particular
> reason they're not one and the same?

Different reasons. Search the Avalon archives :)

Main reason IMO is that logkit is terribly fast. I've tested C2 with all we
have and once without *any* log statement (physically). The net result was that
without logging C2 is less that 10ms faster per request. And as you've said
there is a huge amount of debug logging we are doing in the code. Peter Donald
(author of LogKit) stated that these few ms is the result of writing to a file
and if you wrap the FileOutputLogTarget with a AsyncLogTarget you get rid of
that, too.

Giacomo