cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: AW: cocoon-reload=true or cocoon-reload%3Dtrue ?
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2001 08:10:40 GMT
Quoting Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler@sundn.de>:

> > Giacomo Pati wrote:
> >
> > Quoting Matthew Langham <mlangham@sundn.de>:
> >
> > > Giacomo,
> > >
> > > hey - someone else working on a Sunday :-)

> Netscape
> > > browser
> the
> > >
> > > Last time I've checked there was no need for reloading the sitemap.
> > > Remember that the sitemap recompiles asynchoniously so you don't get
> the
> > > expected result after the first try (not even the second one :).
> > > <<
> > >
> > > I know the sitemap is compiled in the background .. but there are
> times
> > > when
> > > I need to wait for the result - and I thought "cocoon-reload" was
> the
> > > way to
> > > do this - and hence my question.
> >
> > IIRC using cocoon-reload does wait for the sitemap beeing
> > reinstantiated/recompilled. It might be usefull if you have
> > changed jars in
> > the
> > WEB-INF/lib section (but I've never tested if it reloads all
> references to
> > jars).
> >
> The last tests I made some weeks ago, showed that new jars are not
> loaded
> as the classpath is build only once when the servlet is initialised.

Can you confirm that old ones get reloaded?

> This is an issue we should also fix for the beta release...

Definitely yes. I have a mail "A plan to go beta" on my todo list with highest
priority and will send it today or tomorrow.

> > BTW: Can anybody imagine how to prevent using cocoon-reload because of
> DoS
> > attacks?
> >
> This is a serious problem. Several times I heared the wish to configure
> somewhere
> if reloading is allowed. So e.g. a parameter in the "web.xml" could
> solve this.
> I am not quite sure if this is the right approach.

The cocoon-reload parameter is in the concern of the servlet and has nothing to
do with the Cocoon engine itself so specifying it in the web.xml file seems to
be the right place.

> However, if cocoon-reload is specific a check takes place if anything
> has changed
> since the last compilation. And if not, nothing is recompiled.

Well, if the CocoonServlet is in charge to reload cocoon it will not have a
chance to find out if something has changed. Recomipiling the sitemaps is in the
concern of the Cocoon engine and takes place if something has changed (and not
on a reload request).

Giacomo