cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C2]: Countdown for going beta
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:09:40 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What else has to be done for the beta?
>
> a) We have the ongoing discussion which was started by discussion the sendRedirect()
> method. I personally like the approach of compiled Actions (from XSP or whatever)
> very much, but as the 1st of may is approaching very fast, we should leave that
> for the next version of c2 - which we could make very fast after the 2.0 version.

+1 on this POA (Plan Of Attack).  I like the idea of compiled actions, but there
is the issue of specifying them in the sitemap.  We would have to come up with a
way of marking the compiled actions so the sitemap knows that it needs to compile
them.

Also, don't forget about SiLLy (Simple Logicsheet Language) that was proposed a
while back, and referred to in the Cocoon docs.  I think we should do this fast
after the 2.0 version as well.

> b) The status of Avalon - we agreed that we only should go beta with a beta
>    version of Avalon. What's the status there?

It looks like we have all decided on the final structure of the class heirarchy
for the framework.  CVS is settling down on that project, and I will check with
Peter and Fede to see how soon we are for Avalon 4 beta.  Once we hit beta,
the class heirarchy should remain static for a long time--with the possible
exception of the classes in org.apache.excalibur (Avalon specific components
like the DataSources and Component Management Framework).

> Are there more open tasks we should include in the first beta?

Just some robustness testing.  Make a quick audit of all the Components in
Cocoon, and make sure that the components only implement one of the LifeStyle
interfaces (ThreadSafe, Poolable, SingleThreaded).  Beyond that, I think we are
pretty cool.

> >From the list above there are not really big issues open, so I think we could
> have a beta at the 1st of may.
>
> What are your comments, suggestions, wishes?

I think we are well on our way!