cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: AW: [C2] Switch on Cache by default (in cocoon.xconf)
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:08:16 GMT
Giacomo Pati wrote:

> Quoting Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler@sundn.de>:
>

>>> Giacomo Pati wrote:

>>> I have no objection so far.
>>>

>> No real objection from me - the only problem I see right now might
>> be the memory consumption of the cache as nearly every request
>> is cached in memory.
>

> Well, it's a component. We can later on write a more sophisticated Store to use.
> There has been a contribution from a Austrian guy (Froehlich ?) for a MRUStore
> recently. Maybe this component can be configured to limit the storage used. Has
> anybody had a look at it (sorry to that guy if we have not take it so far into
> consideration, but you've seen we are working very hard on different frontiers
> :)
>
> A possible final solution could be a Store that keeps frequently used cache
> object in memory an swaps out others to the file system.

We are considering the Cocoon2 store as a portlet cache for Jetspeed.
Some time ago we used the Cocoon1 store for this purpose. Currently we
are using the Turbine cache, but I like a lot Stefano's proposal (which
I think will be eventually in here) and the key algorithm.

Currently, the String operations involved in constructing jetspeed's
keys and checking for equality is contributing a substantial runtime
overhead to us. So the key approach would also be welcome.

We have a different cache (urlmanager) which could benefit Cocoon,
specially when news syndication come into play. I am currently
implementing it afresh, as the current code base is ugly and messy. This
cache takes care of storing external resources in disk.

I have been playing with the idea of having a multilevel disk and memory
cache, one that would keep used urls in memory, while having the rest on
disk. The same could be applied to other (serializable) objects.

I will definitely give a look to this code.

Do you know if I could use the store without heavy dependencies? which
dependencies (jars, config files) would I need?