cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C2] Avalon Disposable for releasing Components look'ed up in compose()
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2001 14:19:12 GMT
Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Berin,
> There are many instances where we do a manager.lookup in compose() but we never call
> manager.release(). Was thinking of implementing Disposable for such classes and call
> manager.release in dispose() function. Is this ok? Will the Avalon Lifecycle take care
of calling
> dispose() auto-magically?
>
> Carsten,
> In AbstractEventPipeline, CachingEventPipeling, NonCachingStreamPipeline.java:
> - Please use the same selector to do both lookup and release
> - Am not sure if all Components looked up are released.

Dispose is auto-magically taken care of.

Now regarding lookup() without release(), hopefully this is only done with
ThreadSafe Components like the ComponentSelector.  It is still not preferable.
If you call dispose() and the Component then releases it's hold on the components,
then that would be cool.