cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: question on getLogger()
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2001 21:25:59 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:

> [...]
It

> > > that's a very good point. on what variables can you have the proxy vary
> > > its cache?
> >
> > I don't think I get what you mean. The Reader components we have uses
> > parameters like
> >
> >   <param name="expires" value="100"/>
> >
> > which means for the proxy which is requesting the resource that it at
> > least can proxy it for 100 seconds. Another thing is if the proxy (or
> > the client browser) is asking with a header "if-modified-since" then the
> > Readers will response with a HTTP-Code without producing the resource if
> > it is not modified since.
>
> but the proxy needs to know if the response varies on the user agent, or
> request variables, or http request type, or cookie values, etc.... right?

For more info on what a proxy can and can't do, I'd suggest reading up on
Squid Proxy server (you can find a link on www.freshmeat.net).  I friend
of mine set this up at our church to force all computer access to the net
through the proxy.  It was mainly done for two purposes: make sure
inappropriate sites are blocked and logged, and ease administration.
You can use many settings to cache access to the net for the performance
gain that Giacomo was talking about.