cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: question on getLogger()
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2001 21:04:50 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Giacomo Pati wrote:
>
> > My position is that caching the serializers output is less important. It
> > can be easily done by a caching proxy infront of C2. The only thing is
> > that some components will have to set HTTP headers to make the output
> > proxy friendly. The Readers are already doing so. We've used proxies
> > with amazing performance gain (at the client side) of Readers output and
> > especially from images produced by the SVGSerializers.
>
> that's a very good point. on what variables can you have the proxy vary
> its cache?

I don't think I get what you mean. The Reader components we have uses
parameters like

  <param name="expires" value="100"/>

which means for the proxy which is requesting the resource that it at
least can proxy it for 100 seconds. Another thing is if the proxy (or
the client browser) is asking with a header "if-modified-since" then the
Readers will response with a HTTP-Code without producing the resource if
it is not modified since.

Giacomo