cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: question on getLogger()
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2001 19:26:17 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:

> > > i was just playing around thinking about caching issues and decided to go
> > > ahead and try using a LoggingEntityResolver to see if we can actually
> > > track "extra" resources used by sitemap components (trax transformer, for
> > > instance) using that method. i'm currently using it as follows in the
> > > ResourcePipeline:
> >
> > be aware that I am currently refactoring the Resourcepieline class.
>
> oh, i am, i'm not committed to any of the code i'm writing, i'm just
> playing around right now. i must confess, though, i don't see any way to
> reliably cache the output from the serializers if they don't close the
> output streams or signal completion in some other way...

Well, the serializers IIRC come from the xerces or xalan projects (not
sure which one) and I don't know whether there is a reason not to close
it (probably there is one).

My position is that caching the serializers output is less important. It
can be easily done by a caching proxy infront of C2. The only thing is
that some components will have to set HTTP headers to make the output
proxy friendly. The Readers are already doing so. We've used proxies
with amazing performance gain (at the client side) of Readers output and
especially from images produced by the SVGSerializers.

Giacomo