cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Man <Martin....@seznam.cz>
Subject Re: cvs commit: xml-cocoon/webapp/docs/samples/xsp cookie.xsp
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:27:14 GMT
On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 10:29:57AM -0400, Colin Britton wrote:

> OK so my example was best dealt with using an action - is there a
> UserValidationAction (not today) to show people...... how does the map
> object get passed back.... etc.... I know this may be obvious to people
> familliar with C2 but to newbies this stuff is going to fill our email
> box.

I have just written and dims commited to the repository several actions that
do exactly this, look at example aplication that comes with them, it's
accessible via http://localhost:8080/cocoon/protected/login

and yes it really works as carsten tries to convince you, xsps for content,
sitemap for workflow

btw: action names tell hopefully everything

DatabaseAuthenticatorAction
FormValidatorAction
SessionVlidatorAction
SessionInvalidatorAction

and yes, they're commented, thru javadocs only, but commented :))

> We need to make this VERY clear. For a user writing
> <xsp-response:send-redirect location="http://foo.com"/> is simple,
> taking something that simple away and not having an equivelent method is
> a problem in my book.

agreed, we have <map:redirect-to uri=""/>

> So as another example what if we want to redirect to a value that is
> returned from a database call... where the user wants to use esql
> (beacuse it is *simple*) to retirve the value from the database? how is
> that redirect passed back to the sitemap?
you will have to do this using new action, I'll try to write such for you
something like DatabaseGetAction which will perform query and propagate
results to the sitemap, btw. look at DatabaseAuthenticatorAction, it can do it
right now out-of-the-box :-)) (I wrote it, why not to lobby for it :-))

> I hope this thread is helping people think about the users, not
> developers, because at the end of the day we want more users than
> developers using this solution.

again agreed, :), but once again it is important to understand that c2 is
ANOTHER BEAST as said before and it's doing quite a lot of things different
way (much better than c1 IMO), people should be prepared for something like a
windows->unix shift (another philosophy)...

> rgds
> CB

martin man