cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Tagunov Anthony" <atagu...@nnt.ru>
Subject Re: the "evil" document() function
Date Sun, 18 Mar 2001 15:33:23 GMT
On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 16:16:42 +0100, Peter C. Verhage wrote:

> [...]

Unfortunantly looks quite difficult: to make the Cocoon caching system work
okay the XSLT processor should somehow let _Cocoon_ know what
files it has included with document() function... Can't ivent any way
to pass this knowledge from XSLT procssor to Cocoon... :-(

>Another thing, why discourage something that's 100% part of the XSLT
>standard? Just because it does not work entirely correct (in my opinion it
>should not cache forever) does not mean you should discourage it...

The caching problems made me ask.. BTW: this was just an idea to think of.
We also use it ourselves in www.gowap.ru ;-)

>Regards,
>
>Peter
>
>P.S.
>An example where I'd rather use the XSLT document() function instead of
>XInclude is in a project I'm working on. The user can create a configuration
>file which he/she can point to with a special tag in my taglibrary. The
>taglibrary reads the document with the document() function and will use it
>to specify some things in it's final JAVA file. I'd rather use document()
>overhere because I think something like this is a lot nicer then a XInclude
>approach will ever be, because people don't have to know anything about
>XInclude...:
>
><taglib:page config-file="...." optionabc="...">
></taglib:page>

Yes, lots of usefull things can be don by the "evil" document()..

Best regards,
   Tagunov Anthony