cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Tagunov Anthony" <atagu...@nnt.ru>
Subject Re: util:include + xsp problem
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2001 07:21:12 GMT
On Thu, 15 Mar 2001 03:21:42 +0000 (UTC), Forge wrote:

>HI there,
>
>I wish to include some xml data in my first xml file.
>This works.
>
>But my taglib cannot access the included data..
>
>I know why, because the code that inserts the xml file is nicely placed
>between the code that examines it..
>
>Is there any way to do this (nicely?)
>Maybe it's time to add XInclude support?
>
>Btw, I know one way to do it and that is using a logicsheet as stylesheet,
>and defining a template that inserts the xml data..
>If all goes well, this stylesheet is first applied to the input xml data,
>and then my logicsheet is applied to that data..
>
>Would this approach work?

Yes, sure it will.

What we really want (i want things like that too) is too include
some code BEFORE the XSP is run. A sort of PRE-PROCESSING
before XSP.

util:include is not the trick, as you pointed out.

XInclude is not the case because nothing should run
before xsp processor in C1 (actually you can
place <?cocoon-process type="xinclude"?>
before <?cocoon-process type="xsp"?>
but this should be considered a hack and will
have the drawback that whenever you change the
file being included the cache will be cleaned for the
page, but the page really won't be recompiled.

Using external XML entities is another solution
but they look ugly, and changes on them also
do not get detected by the caching system

I actually have been asking the developers if
they think that <xsp:include> functionality
would be a good complement to
<util:include>, xinclude, external entities and
xsl logicsheets technologies. I see it
as a pre-processor inside the xsp mechanism,
something like <xsp:include href=".."/>

Maybe this still is a good idea..

Best regards, Tagunov Anthony