cocoon-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Tagunov Anthony" <>
Subject Charset Conversion: Fwd: Re: [C2] Requirement for Servlet in extra-classpath solution
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2001 20:42:26 GMT
Hello, evrybody!

Berin Loritsch wrote:

>Really, I was thinking something simple.  Not a full blown compatibility
>layer with CharSet conversion and stuff.  I don't have the time for something
>like that.

Me personally is no hurry, as all our cocoon projects are still C1.
But if at least a reasonable scheme for solving the encoding problem
could be workd out it would already be much.

Speaking of the question, i've just found a _fabulous_  message
from Santiago Gala on jestspeed-dev. What he proposes might be
a solution, at least partial for the encoding problem. Haven't tested
it myselft, but this could be a path to solution.

The pity is, it is only HTML, dunno have any idea about what
about wml (looks like accept-charset attribute on the <FORM> tag
is has not got any peer there, but it should be checked if the phone
sends reasonalble accept-charset headers.

Again: haven't test this myself.

==================BEGIN FORWARDED MESSAGE==================
from: Santiago Gala <>
to: <>

Santiago Gala wrote:

> Tagunov Anthony wrote:
>> I heard there's some good NLS support in Jetspeed. Would be VERY 
>> intrigued
>> to know if they have a way of solving the trounble. That's why posting 
>> to both
>> lists.
> It will fail. I just tried with Spanish characters, and got them back as 
> utf-8->iso-8859-1 mix, as you said.
> I will look at your proposal. One more reason to have a "servlet API 
> buffer" component.
Our code was broken. I had to replace

<FORM accept-charset="UNKNOWN"

<FORM accept-charser="UTF-8, ISO-8859-1"

Now it works, but I have only tested with my spanish keyboard.

This is what the standard mandates. With the previous code,
the browser was encoding the answer as the page encoding UTF-8, but it 
was not telling it to jetspeed.

Now it is encoding it as UTF-8 AND the browser is setting the proper 
encoding in the response/request.

With other browsers I'm not sure, in particular the Ericson WAP phone 
that Anthony said.

I have tested with Mozilla 0.8. But at least we are doing it right now. 
The changes are commited in cvs both for jsp and vm templates.

WRT your problems in cocoon, it is a matter of generating the right FORM 
tag. If you know the encoding, you can generate it with the right 
accept-charset attribute.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

===================END FORWARDED MESSAGE===================

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message