cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: [C2] XSP / keywords in directory names
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2001 21:25:58 GMT
On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Tagunov Anthony wrote:

> >On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> >
> >> Checked in code which adds a $ suffix to the package elements if the package
elements are java
> >> keywords.
> >>
> >> For example,
> >>    com.mycom.www.static.volatile
> >> Will be turned into,
> >>    com.mycom.www.static$.volatile$
> >
> >that's going to make life just a _tad_ difficult for people in UNIX
> >environments who want to poke around in their repositories - $ is a
> >special character to most shells and needs to be escaped if it occurs in a
> >path - a real pain for /bin/sh users. suggest using an underscore instead.
>
> Well, I would certanly expect problems, but surprisingly instead on my Linux RH 6.2 with
> bash I can easily create folders named  aaa$, aaa$/bbb and ls 'em..
> So maybe it okay?

bash is particularly nice in handling special characters, especially if
you use path autocompletion. but there are many other shells people like
to use that aren't so friendly. it's not a huge deal, i'm not going to
poke around and figure out where to do it, but if it's just a one
character change and dims is willing to spend a moment doing it, more
power to him.

- donald