cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@sundn.de>
Subject AW: Refactoring ResourcePipeline
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2001 15:04:50 GMT
> Giacomo Pati wrote:
> Hi all
>
> To those of you which are familiar with the code concerning the Sitemap.
> Please give me some feedback.
>
> I'd like to refactor the ResourcePipeline class into a XMLPipeline and a
> ResourcePipeline.
>
> The ResourcePipeline class will contain only the code to take a
> Generator and a Serializer and is able to connect them together and
> process them as it has done before.
>
> The new XMLPipeline class implements a Generator and is able to collect
> a Generator and Transformers as the ResourcePipeline has done (the
> Generator could possibly be an other XMLPipeline).
>
> Later on the XMLPipeline (and possibly the ResourcePipeline) should be
> able to check for caching their components or answering cachability to
> the cache system.

+1
This should simplify the caching as an XMLPipeline contains all information
required for the validation check, not less and not more.

> This leads to adjustments in the generated Sitemap class to be able to
> ask it for a XMLPipeline and a ResourcePipeline separately according to
> the definition in the <pipeline> section. This IMO will help simplifying
> the implementation of an "Aggregator" which should be able to take
> several Generators (read XMLPipelines) requested from the sitemap
> directly.

+1
I am not so familiar with Aggregation, but I think the XMLPipeline is exactly
the "part of the response" which is aggregated. So again a 1-to-1 mapping.

> Please give me your feedback, suggestions, comments.
Right now, I don't see any disadvantages nor posibilities for improvement.

Carsten