cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: strange resons not going beta (was Re: C2: trouble getting streaming to work as expected)
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2001 14:21:35 GMT
Quoting Berin Loritsch <bloritsch@apache.org>:

> No that isn't.  Cocoon 2 is still (for some strange reason) considered
> Alpha software, so there are no direct downloads.

This is the first time I've read that the missing features (aggregation and
caching) are strange reasons not going beta/production with Cocoon 2. Let me
check this out. Who else finds this is strange.

1. Can you imagine that C1 users today will switch to C2 without a cache?

   The fact is that C2 cannot compete with C1 (with cache enabled)
   for static content delivery. This might lead to the situation
   that we will support and maintain two versions at the same time.
   C1 for faster static content delivery and C2 for dynamic publishing.

2. Is content aggregation a feature we need to go beta/production?

I've only follow Stefano reasoning that those features are needed to go
beta/production. But you all can convice me to change my mind :) If most of you
find these features are not needed for going beta/production we should ask on
the user list what those people think about. I know C2 is very stable on
what is implemented so far from projects I've realized with it (only dynamic
systems which doesn't need caching). We all know that content aggregation will
be a very cool feature to cut down your pages into smaller pieces collected from
different sources almost like browser use HTML frames but with a total different
granularity (frame technology on the server side). And thus having a cache can
boost performance of such aggregation tremendously.

So, what are you oppinions on this?

Giacomo