cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "McCoy, David" <dmc...@gohealthcast.com>
Subject RE: C2: trouble getting streaming to work as expected
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2001 17:50:40 GMT
Could you elaborate on what would be necessary to install a
DeterministicXMLSerializer in to Cocoon?

-----Original Message-----
From: Berin Loritsch [mailto:bloritsch@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2001 12:09 PM
To: cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: C2: trouble getting streaming to work as expected

"Lock, Fred" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My partner and I are using the enclosed XSP (see below) to experiment with
> the streaming capabilities of C2. We are applying the
dynamic-page2html.xsl
> which comes with the C2 distribution to format the output. We are using IE
> version 5.5 to view the output. C2 is running on Tomcat 3.2.1.
>
> We expect that when we hit the XSP we should see the browser displaying a
> new integer number on successive lines every 0.5 seconds.
>
> However, what actually happens is that we wait approximately 70 seconds,
and
> then integers 0 through 131 are displayed. We then wait another 70 seconds
> and integers 132 through 268 are displayed, etc.
>
> It appears that the output is being cached, then streamed out, cached,
etc.

> Is there some way to reduce this cache, or force a flush?

Cocoon will use the BufferedOutputStream in just about every circumstance
because
it is faster to the end user.  If you need deterministic timing on the
serializer,
then you need a "DeterministicXMLSerializer" or something like that and
perform
flush()es on each nugget of information.  Since Cocoon is designed for a
transaction
oriented environment, the notion of what you are trying to due goes against
how
Cocoon is designed to be used.

This is the same with most Server Side Processing in a Web environment.  A
transaction
occurs from request to response.  Once the response is fully sent, the
transaction
is done.  There really isn't the notion of a progressive transaction.

What is the end result that you envision by having a deterministic response
on
the client browser?  I guarantee that once you start embedding that
information
in tables, Netscape won't display the information until the table is closed
(all
at once).