cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Timm, Sean" <st...@gohealthcast.com>
Subject FW: C2: trouble getting streaming to work as expected
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2001 20:33:20 GMT
Reformatted for your viewing pleasure...darn line breaks.  :)

Berin Loritsch [mailto:bloritsch@apache.org] wrote:
>What is the end result that you envision by having
>a deterministic response onthe client browser?  I
>guarantee that once you start embedding that information
>in tables, Netscape won't display the information until
>the table is closed (all at once).

It may be true for Netscape, but is it true of all browsers?  What if it's
not a table but, rather, just lines of text?  Even more so, what if the end
target is not a browser at all but just another component making a request
to Cocoon for an XML data stream to do with as it pleases?  A buffered
stream may be a limitation in this case depending on what you're trying to
do with it.

I'm not working directly with Fred, but I think I can answer in his stead.
Basically, we have some data sources that take a very long time to retrieve
data from, and we want the transformed data to start showing up on the
browser as soon as possible rather than having to show some sort of progress
bar indicating that we're actually doing something. If a particular browser
doesn't immediately render certain sections of the HTML, that's okay, but,
hopefully, it will render most of it.

- Sean T.