cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Timm, Sean" <st...@gohealthcast.com>
Subject RE: C2: trouble getting streaming to work as expected
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2001 20:28:53 GMT
Berin Loritsch [mailto:bloritsch@apache.org] wrote:
>Cocoon will use the BufferedOutputStream in just about every circumstance
because
>it is faster to the end user.  If you need deterministic timing on the
serializer,
>then you need a "DeterministicXMLSerializer" or something like that and
perform
>flush()es on each nugget of information.  Since Cocoon is designed for a
transaction
>oriented environment, the notion of what you are trying to due goes against
how
>Cocoon is designed to be used.
>
>This is the same with most Server Side Processing in a Web environment.  A
transaction
>occurs from request to response.  Once the response is fully sent, the
transaction
>is done.  There really isn't the notion of a progressive transaction.
>
>What is the end result that you envision by having a deterministic response
on
>the client browser?  I guarantee that once you start embedding that
information
>in tables, Netscape won't display the information until the table is closed
(all
>at once).

It may be true for Netscape, but is it true of all browsers?  What if it's
not a table
but, rather, just lines of text?  Even more so, what if the end target is
not a browser
at all but just another component making a request to Cocoon for an XML data
stream to
do with as it pleases?  A buffered stream may be a limitation in this case
depending on
what you're trying to do with it.

I'm not working directly with Fred, but I think I can answer in his stead.
Basically,
we have some data sources that take a very long time to retrieve data from,
and we want
the transformed data to start showing up on the browser as soon as possible
rather than
having to show some sort of progress bar indicating that we're actually
doing something.
If a particular browser doesn't immediately render certain sections of the
HTML, that's
okay, but, hopefully, it will render most of it.

- Sean T.