cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: strange resons not going beta
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2001 21:13:26 GMT
Ok, let me summarize:

----------------------------------- oo
-----------------------------------

Caching:

Donald Ball wrote:
> i dunno. c2 is pretty fast in and of itself.

My oppinions
> Most of my use of C2 is dynamic in most cases so caching is not a issue at all.

==> Caching isn't critical to enter beta state.

----------------------------------- oo
-----------------------------------

Content Aggregation (CA)

Donald Ball wrote:
> content aggregation would be very helpful before going beta. in my mind,
> beta code is supposed to be largely stable in two ways - it shouldn't
> crash all the time for inexplicable reasons, and the API and configuration
> files' formats shouldn't be changing wildly. if we can add content
> aggregation to the sitemap, i think we'll be at a point at which we could
> get a beta release out there for people to play with. and really, how hard
> can content aggregation really be compared with the very difficult
> problems already solved?

My oppinions
> CA seems to me a thing that could be realized if two or three volunteers
> can stick together, solve the last design uncertainties with help from the list.

==> CA is a nice feature and should eventually be realized before going
beta.

----------------------------------- oo
-----------------------------------

Some reasons to go beta:

Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> The main problem we find when convincing customers to implement a C2-based infrastructure
> is the fact that C2 is still alpha and relatively unknown.
>
> - if we are able to quickly release a beta version of C2 then we should be able to get
>   more developers involved and therefore speed up the addition of new features.

My reasons:
> I'm in the same situation as Berin and Carsten and I do know the difficulties
> using an alpha package as base for customers systems. Thus, going beta will
> help me selling C2 better/easier.

----------------------------------- oo
-----------------------------------

I see CA implementable by two or three people who can stick together,
solve the last uncertainties with help from the list and have them work
on different part of CA. I've allready commited myself to refactor the
ResourcePipeline and the sitemap to enable the basics for CA. Still
missing is a way to request the sitemap for an XMLPipeline (see my other
mail about refactoring) and an AggregationGenerator which understands a
syntax for aggregation (several proposals/suggestions available). All
this things doesn't affect the sitemap semantic/syntax at all. So in my
oppinion the sitemaps syntax and semantics is quite stable.

Ok, lets vote on the following:

Should we implement CA first before going beta?

Should we go beta at (ie.) 1st May (Carstens suggestion)?

Should we go beta now?

Giacomo