cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fwd: FW: xml.apache.org charter proposal
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:58:00 GMT
> ----- Forwarded message from steven.noels@the-ecorp.com -----
> Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:15:48 +0200
> From: steven.noels@the-ecorp.com
> Subject: FW: xml.apache.org charter proposal
> To: cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org
>
> Anyone comments on this? What's the story about a separate PMC for Cocoon???
>
> </Steven>

Yes, Scott is right: I've been pinging many interested parties at
foundation, XML PMC, active developers and other projects (both ASF and
non-ASF ones) for the creation of a new Apache project for "XML-based
serving enviornments" or something similar to that.

The general response I got was: 'the idea is cool, but the time is not
yet ready'.

I believe it's wise, for now, to keep Cocoon into xml.apache.org, but
try to bootstrap this new project with virtual host, PMC and all that as
soon as it makes sense.

And as soon as the main developers have enough energy to push for this.
My personal concern is to start doing something that is a good idea but
turns out throwing shit in everyone's face just because we didn't invest
the right energy into it.

There are also concerns about other xml-based serving codebases joining
effort (AxKit and Jetspeed, mainly) and I *DO* *NOT* want to ruin a good
friendship with these communities to impose or rush something on them.

So, the conclusion was:

 1) Cocoon doesn't really fit with xml.apache.org and its charter and
should move away, but only when the time is right.

 2) The time is *not* right at present, for a number of reasons.

 3) This will be reevaluated in 6 months.

Hope this helps to clarify things.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.