cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: C2: trouble getting streaming to work as expected
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2001 19:08:36 GMT
"Lock, Fred" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My partner and I are using the enclosed XSP (see below) to experiment with
> the streaming capabilities of C2. We are applying the dynamic-page2html.xsl
> which comes with the C2 distribution to format the output. We are using IE
> version 5.5 to view the output. C2 is running on Tomcat 3.2.1.
>
> We expect that when we hit the XSP we should see the browser displaying a
> new integer number on successive lines every 0.5 seconds.
>
> However, what actually happens is that we wait approximately 70 seconds, and
> then integers 0 through 131 are displayed. We then wait another 70 seconds
> and integers 132 through 268 are displayed, etc.
>
> It appears that the output is being cached, then streamed out, cached, etc.
>
> Is there some way to reduce this cache, or force a flush?

Cocoon will use the BufferedOutputStream in just about every circumstance because
it is faster to the end user.  If you need deterministic timing on the serializer,
then you need a "DeterministicXMLSerializer" or something like that and perform
flush()es on each nugget of information.  Since Cocoon is designed for a transaction
oriented environment, the notion of what you are trying to due goes against how
Cocoon is designed to be used.

This is the same with most Server Side Processing in a Web environment.  A transaction
occurs from request to response.  Once the response is fully sent, the transaction
is done.  There really isn't the notion of a progressive transaction.

What is the end result that you envision by having a deterministic response on
the client browser?  I guarantee that once you start embedding that information
in tables, Netscape won't display the information until the table is closed (all
at once).