cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Rearchitected ComponentPool
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2001 14:40:49 GMT
I rearchitected the ComponentPool using the explicit lock object
in Avalon.  It is the same architecture used for JdbcConnectionPool,
and does not involve any waits.

The reason I did the rearchitecture is because I was suspecting a
deadlock in there.  This was not the case, but the code is cleaner
(no mixing of Avalon style and Cocoon style code), and easier to
grok by the average coder.

The ComponentPool does use resource a soft resource limiting
methodology.  My last attempt at creating a hard resource limit
resulted in a serious deadlock over time.  With a hard resource
limit, you must know EXACTLY how many of each type of component
you need.  With a soft resource limit, resources are created,
and overflow resources are destroyed.

You have the extra components when you need them, but you don't
hold on to the extra overhead for having them.