cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C2] [Q] SQL routemap and status?
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2001 17:27:03 GMT
Stuart Roebuck wrote:

> I've just been starting some SQL database integration to existing C2 work
> and I'm trying to get a handle on the C2 SQL routemap and current status?

Routemap?  Not sure what you mean by that.

> My understanding is that the is an SQL processor, and there is an ESQL XSP
> taglib.

This is true

> The documentation for C1 appears to indicate that the SQL processing is
> no-longer recommended, is this also true for C2?

This is true.

> ESQL clearly provides considerably more power, and is, I would guess,
> likely to be more efficient once pre-compiled, compared with the SQL
> processor.  The SQL processor, on the other hand, seems to be easier to
> use for simple requirements.  Am I right here, are there recommended uses
> for one or other?

They are similar once compiled.  One issue is that the SQLTransformer
uses at least two connections--not only one.  The ESQL logicsheet is
more powerful, and isn't that complicated to use once you get the knack
for it.

> There appear to be a few quirks in the SQL processor, e.g. table column
> names are converted to lowercase before they are used as element names in
> the resulting ROWSET XML output.  Is this a known problem? or an intended
> behaviour?

Not sure on that one.  The SQLTransformer was done as a quick port to have
some functionality.  ESQL has been much more thoroughly tested, and is clearly
where our future efforts are going to lie.