cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <>
Subject Re: [C2] Requirement for Servlet in extra-classpath solution
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2001 16:53:41 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> I just realized, there is an elegant method of removing the
> requirement for the servlet.jar file from the classpath.
> If we make all of our compiled elements use our own wrapper
> classes, then the Compiler doesn't need to see the
> javax.servlet.* classes.  This means we can implement the
> sitemap and XSP pages to compile regardless of the environment.
> Basically we would be using the AbstractFactory pattern, so
> we need to specify the interfaces (extending the Servlet
> interfaces).  We then provide the implementations in the
> environment.http and environment.commandline packages.
> By using our own interfaces, we can standardize on one
> interface--efectively allowing Servlet 2.2 environments to
> simulate Servlet2.3 request and response objects.
> Talk about future proofing the code.  No missing features
> to worry about, and the average developer can take advantage
> of *some* servlet 2.3 features now, and know they will work
> the same when it is commonly available.

I would buy this for jetspeed. We are having problems with some
servlet engines that are still using 2.0, while we require 2.2. In some
pruduction sites it can be a mess.

(I can pay no more than a couple of beers, and maybe some help with
the 2.0 -> 2.2+ bridge. :)

(crossposted to jetspeed-dev, to see what other people thinks)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message