cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: [c2] still can't start cocoon
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2001 16:44:58 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Donald Ball wrote:
>

>> heya guys. i'm still getting this error when i try to access the cocoon
>> sample webapp:
>

> well, now i can - nuking my c2 build directory was necessary for some
> reason - maybe the ant upgrade? sorry, should have tried that before
> pestering y'all again. while we're on the topic though, maybe y'all know -
> under what circumstances is it necessarily to clean an ant build
> directory?

if you refer to ./build.sh clean, I have found that it is needed when
a base class is modified, but some derived (or calling) class IS NOT, AND interfaces DO change.
So, the base class will be recompiled, but NOT the derived one(s). This will lead to funny
errors
during runtime (NoSuchMethodError, IncompatibleClassChangeError, and the like). Some times,
this errors
are catched and masked throwing different ones.

BTW: Golden Rule: never rethrow an exception without logging/describing
the original one clearly.

I'm not sure if this is old to you. My heuristics is to build clean if I see base classes
getting modified,
and also every time I get "funny" runtime problems. Due to java dynamic runtime class loading
and linking,
it would be difficult for ant to know in advance if a given .class mixture will load and run.

For C2, I have had to also delete the work directory a couple of times, but I'm not sure if
it was my fault
with different library jars getting around :) I did it just to make sure, as generated java
lives there.