cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject [C2] Requirement for Servlet in extra-classpath solution
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2001 16:25:44 GMT
I just realized, there is an elegant method of removing the
requirement for the servlet.jar file from the classpath.

If we make all of our compiled elements use our own wrapper
classes, then the Compiler doesn't need to see the
javax.servlet.* classes.  This means we can implement the
sitemap and XSP pages to compile regardless of the environment.

Basically we would be using the AbstractFactory pattern, so
we need to specify the interfaces (extending the Servlet
interfaces).  We then provide the implementations in the
environment.http and environment.commandline packages.
By using our own interfaces, we can standardize on one
interface--efectively allowing Servlet 2.2 environments to
simulate Servlet2.3 request and response objects.

Talk about future proofing the code.  No missing features
to worry about, and the average developer can take advantage
of *some* servlet 2.3 features now, and know they will work
the same when it is commonly available.