cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [C2] XSP / keywords in directory names
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2001 09:52:12 GMT

Berin Loritsch a écrit :

> "Matthias D. Herold" wrote:

> > > If you actually had an extension on your file name, it would work as well:
> > > org.apache.cocoon.static_xmap
> >
> > There is an extension on the file name; the file is named 'index.jsp' and put
> > in a directory named 'static': 'static/index.xsp'.
>
> Ah. so the class is:
>
> com.mycom.www.static.index_xsp (or equiv.).
>
> That makes sense that your having this problem.  It's too much work to check for
> keywords in the path, and I want the clean com.mycom.www prefix to work.  Another
> solution would be that ALL generated classes have the same prefix, but no subdirectories:
>
> com.mycom.www.static_index_xsp
>
> Or preferably, remove the underscore and capitalize the first char of each word:
>
> com.mycom.www.StaticIndexXsp
>
> The problem with that is we might reach a limit on the character length of the class
> name.
>
> Truthfully, the most scalable approach is still prefixing or postfixing a character
> to the directory name.  We already mangle the name to remove periods and dashes, but
> who said we have to use an underscore?
>
> com.mycom.www.c_static.c_volatile.c_index_xsp
>
> The thing is the prefixing with an underscore according to some C/C++ coding practices
> is indicative of a compiler or system constant that you can't rely on to be useable.
> That is my beef with the underscore thing.

In Java, the '$' character is used for this purpose. This is specified
by the JLS at
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/second_edition/html/lexical.doc.html#40625

The compiler uses it e.g. for generated identifiers when you reference a
Class object (writing "org.apache.Foo.class" produces a
"class$org$apache$Foo" attribute in the class file).

So there's nothing against the use of the '_' prefix but the C/C++
history and IMO it's important that java keywords do not impact the
naming of directories in the web site !

My .02 euro.

--
Sylvain Wallez