cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C2] XSP / keywords in directory names
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2001 16:31:20 GMT
"Matthias D. Herold" wrote:

> "Berin Loritsch" wrote:
> >
> > "Matthias D. Herold" wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello Davanum,
> > >
> > > if I rename the directory, it works. But I think it should also work
> > > with java keywords as directory name...
> > >
> > > IMO there should be a better method for mapping directories to package names
> > > (for example just adding underscores to the beginning and the end of each
> > > package name would be fine: directory /static maps to org.apache.cocoon._static_).
> > >
> > > I am currently not familiar enough with the code to be able to fix such things;
> > > so I'll just send bug reports  ;-)
> >
> > If you actually had an extension on your file name, it would work as well:
> > org.apache.cocoon.static_xmap
>
> There is an extension on the file name; the file is named 'index.jsp' and put
> in a directory named 'static': 'static/index.xsp'.

Ah. so the class is:

com.mycom.www.static.index_xsp (or equiv.).

That makes sense that your having this problem.  It's too much work to check for
keywords in the path, and I want the clean com.mycom.www prefix to work.  Another
solution would be that ALL generated classes have the same prefix, but no subdirectories:

com.mycom.www.static_index_xsp

Or preferably, remove the underscore and capitalize the first char of each word:

com.mycom.www.StaticIndexXsp

The problem with that is we might reach a limit on the character length of the class
name.

Truthfully, the most scalable approach is still prefixing or postfixing a character
to the directory name.  We already mangle the name to remove periods and dashes, but
who said we have to use an underscore?

com.mycom.www.c_static.c_volatile.c_index_xsp

The thing is the prefixing with an underscore according to some C/C++ coding practices
is indicative of a compiler or system constant that you can't rely on to be useable.
That is my beef with the underscore thing.