cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Davanum Srinivas <d...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Frustration... Re: [C2][Xalan2] Xalan2J problems under heavy load using Apache JMeter
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2001 13:41:14 GMT
Scott,

Here's one observation, if you point the JMeter URL to
http://localhost:8080/forms/add-department  then you will *NEVER* get these errors.

We get these problems only when we point to http://localhost:8080/forms/add-department2.html
Which
i have sent to you earlier. The only difference between these two are the generator. The plain
add-department uses XSP to generate the SAX events and the add-department2.html uses Xerces
parse the file to generate the SAX events.

Thanks,
dims

PS: I belive i left my Office Phone# on your VM. (if you wanna talk).

--- Scott_Boag@lotus.com wrote:

> Davanum, man, this is *really* hard to debug.  I may be on this for several
> days more the way I am going.
>
> Are there any circumstances that the same TransformerHandler object could
> be reused, that you can see?  From what I can tell from the code, a
> TransformerHandler object is used exactly only once, is this correct?  I
> have some evidence that the same TransformerHandler object is being used by
> multiple threads, but I haven't really proved it yet.
>
> Here's one possibility that I have been considering:
>
> 1) Xerces or someone on the main thread throws an exception.
> 2) Somehow the TraxTransformer object is given up to the pool *before*
> recycle() is called and starts a transform without calling setup (????).
> 3) Another thread uses that TransformerObject.
> 4) The original thread where the exception was thrown calls recycle, and
> the transformer thread then calls reset in the transformer, which clears
> the ResultTreeHandler and a bunch of other stuff.
> 5) The extra thread run in step 2 tries to access the ResultTreeHandler
> that was cleared in step 4, and barfs.
>
> Can you imagine that the reuse of the TraxTransformer object as described
> above could possibly happen?
>
> Or, it may be possible that the setExceptionThrown(e) in recycle takes a
> bit to take effect, and you get the same effect as above.  But I tried some
> things to prove this, and it doesn't seem to pan out.
>
> Are you seeing Xerces exceptions in your log file?  (or any other
> exceptions?)
>
> -scott
>

>                     Scott_Boag@lo

>                     tus.com              To:     cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org

>                                          cc:     (bcc: Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus)

>                     03/14/2001           Subject:     Progress...  Re: [C2][Xalan2] Xalan2J
> problems under heavy
>                     10:34 PM             load using Apache JMeter

>                     Please

>                     respond to

>                     cocoon-dev

> Just to report on my progress...
>
> I believe this may not be a threading problem in Xalan as such, but a
> reporting problem related to the hack in the TraxTransformer#reset
> function.  The exception may be set, somehow reset() seems to be called on
> the transformer while it is still running, and thus the null pointer
> exception.  But the root cause seems unrelated.  I am getting
> ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException in
> org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse, which I suspect may be a
> Xerces threading problem, but it is all speculation right now.
>
> -scott

=====
Davanum Srinivas, JNI-FAQ Manager
http://www.jGuru.com/faq/JNI