cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gerd Mueller <g...@smb-tec.com>
Subject Re: [RT] from linkmaps to flowmaps
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2001 14:39:29 GMT

> > > This is already long enough so I'll stop here.
> >
> > Alot has been said, but most in the last section.
> >
> > > A few questions need to be answered and I'll like to hear your comments
> > > on them:
> > >
> > > 1) can the flowmap be used not only for description, but directly for
> > > design like we do for the sitemap?
> >
> > Yes.  In fact, it could be designed like an orthagonal view of the sitemap.
>
> Oh, here you touched the nerve: are flowmaps and sitemaps really
> orthogonal? I still haven't figure this out.

As I understand it the sitemap is something Cocoon2 specific (although I
don't know it very well), but a flowmap can define any application flow,
either web or something else. In Prowler we've got some very basic type
of workflow management, it's called 'process context' there. A process
context is assigned to one or more pages and on of it's tasks is to control
the correct page order, i.e. a user may not jump anywhere into a web
application (e.g. by bookmarking a page) without having done some actions
before this, e.g. logged in. Although this process context concept is
focused at web apps, the basic pattern is totally independend from this.

Having this in mind the flowmap could be Cocoon independed. It's more
general, something like Avalon, perhaps a new project. A flowmap could
describe how various software components act together as a application.

> At the end, I'm not sure where these RT lead to, but it's great to
> exchange visions on these things and keep them sufficiently abstract to
> provide R&D ground for future innovation.

I totally agree.

Best Regards,
Gerd

Gerd Mueller                                    gerd@smb-tec.com