cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ricardo Rocha <rica...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C2] ComponentManager/Selector Rearchitecture
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:47:15 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> The framework I created is for Components.  It works quite well in that
> scope. I would be sad to see it deal exclusively with Blocks.

Absolutely!

> Here is my input: I refactered Cocoon so that Cocoon can have a good
> foundation for ComponentManagement and Selection.  If we move that
> framework into Avalon, it benefits a wider population.

Yes, this is why we requested it in the first place.

> If we move it to Camelot or Pheonix, then we again narrow our focus and
> the classes are of no use to Cocoon--why move them? They _need_ to
> be in Avalon, and then specializations can be made in Camelot or Pheonix.

Yes. Your framework addresses components, not (specifically) blocks or
services. Eventually, info-related interfaces under Camelot and Phoenix
would extend the interfaces defined for general component management
at the top Avalon level.

>  I propose moving the Component framework to Avalon, with a really simple
>  Role tool, and then we can create specializations that would really
> benefit Camelot or Pheonix.

Enthusiastic +1 here!

Ok, to me this sounds like we've validated the RoleInfo interface...

Q: Will the RoleInfo interface (as proposed) be added to the Avalon package?

Tia,

Ricardo