cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ricardo Rocha <rica...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C2] ComponentManager/Selector Rearchitecture
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2001 13:37:36 GMT
Great work, Berin!

I've been using these component manager in a different Avalon-based project
and your improvements came at the right time, thanks!

These components are so well thought out and generic that I think they should
be moved to Avalon: Almost nothing in them is C2-specific.

The _only_ C2 dependencies are the use of the RoleUtils and ClassUtil classes.

ClassUtils.loadClass just does a Class.forName, so this dependency can be
easily counted out if we want to generalize the components.

RoleUtils, on the other hand, is used to pass the manager/selector info about
the Cocoon-specific roles.

This is cool if Cocoon was the only environment where these highly generic
components are used, but what if we want to use them for another framework
(as we're doing at Bibop Research)?

I propose we define a new interface (Avalon?) that generalizes RoleUtils:

    public interface RoleInfo {
      public String lookup(String shorthandName);
      public Iterator shorthandNames();
      public String defaultClass(String role);
    }

of which today's RoleUtils would be but a specific implementation.

Thus, any new framework wishing to reuse these terrific meta-components would
simply need supply its own RoleInfo to leverage this infrastructure.

This is what we're doing for Bibop's components and a new test XSP framework.

What do you think?

Ricardo