cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Prante <jo...@7val.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon monitoring
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2001 10:27:04 GMT
Martin Man wrote:
> 	however the idea of monitoring the webapp seems to me very attractive,
> maybe I miss something really obvious, sort of app which already does this,
> please could you comment on what do you think about ???

There is a plan of myself to add a basic logging engine that can monitor
sessions.

Sessions are a servlet container issue, so the best place would be extending
the servlet container, or using the servlet container monitoring capabilities
if they exist. Tomcat does not have built-in session monitoring services, but
I can imagine there are some plans to extend these kind of services. Cocoon
is only a single servlet, so the web app monitoring task is a hard one, given
that you want to cover all activities of other web apps from within Cocoon.
So I decided to reduce the task to Cocoon sessions.

Here is my approach:

- adding a <listener-class> in Cocoon 2's web.xml according to Tomcat 4.0
Servlet API 2.3. I'm afraid Servlet API 2.2 will not be supported, since 2.3
has been significantly changed in session handling.

- the listener class will add some identification information to a Tomcat
session object if a Cocoon session is identified.

- other application dependant session information has to be specified. It is
very important when to add and remove such information to a session object.

- the identified sessions have to be timestamped and recorded if their
objects grow or shrink, and this point of occurences must be defined before
deploy time in the Cocoon 2 sitemap.

- a flat file logging database backend.

- logicsheet tags for accessing the listener class to get the current session
logging status.

- everything configurable by XML.

Why only Cocoon2? Because I think the best place for a fine-grained session
logging configuration is in the sitemap.

In the Cocoon todo.xml I found the following:

> Implement a internal profiling tool that should indicate the load and
> history of such along with the status page. Something both useful and fancy
> to show the power of C2.

I don't know if profiling is the same as monitoring since profiling sounds
like being addressed to Cocoon developers only. Profiling would include the
XSL processing issues and internal performance-related data-logging as well.
Session logging is addressed to web masters and could be a first step into
the direction of controlling the load of a Cocoon site.

I hope my approach will be valuable for the Cocoon project. Currently I'm
busy with many things, but also with testing the approach. It might take some
weeks, so please don't hesitate to try some session logging by yourself.

Jörg

--
Jörg Prante
Sevenval AG (HRB 32757) e-business marketing technologies